Terraria - http://terraria.org/
- "Dig, Fight, Explore, Build: The very world is at your fingertips as you fight for survival, fortune, and glory. Will you delve deep into cavernous expanses in search of treasure and raw materials with which to craft ever-evolving gear, machinery, and aesthetics? Perhaps you will choose instead to seek out ever-greater foes to test your mettle in combat? Maybe you will decide to construct your own city to house the host of mysterious allies you may encounter along your travels?
- In the World of Terraria, the choice is yours!
- Blending elements of classic action games with the freedom of sandbox-style creativity, Terraria is a unique gaming experience where both the journey and the destination are completely in the player’s control. The Terraria adventure is truly as unique as the players themselves!
- Are you up for the monumental task of exploring, creating, and defending a world of your own?"
How to Pronounce
Terraria is the plural form of Terrarium
ter·rar·i·um \tə-ˈrer-ē-əm\ 
"a glass or plastic box that is used for growing plants or keeping small animals indoors"
plural form: -ia or ter·rar·i·ums
"A usually transparent enclosure for keeping or raising plants or usually small animals (as turtles) indoors" -- Merriam-Webster Dictionary
How Do You Pronounce Terraria - YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0zxZxXGkvw
Official Terraria Wiki - http://terraria.gamepedia.com/
Current version: 126.96.36.199 - Released: May 15, 2014
Terraria - GOG.com ($5 or $10) - http://www.gog.com/game/terraria
- DRM-FREE. No activation or online connection required to play.
My Documents/My Games/Terraria/*
Specifically delete the servers.dat to clear the list of remote servers.
"For the time being, you can reset Terraria's settings to default by deleting the config.dat file in the My Documents/My Games/Terraria folder." 
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Terraria\TerrariaServer.exe" -config "C:\Users\kenneth\TerrariaServer.config"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\Games\Terraria\TerrariaServer.exe"
maxplayers=4 world=C:\Users\kenneth\Documents\my games\Terraria\Worlds\World_1.wld port=7777 password=somepassword motd=Please don’t cut the purple trees!
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4 - from Official Microsoft Download Center - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851
- Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 - from Official Microsoft Download Center - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914
- Guide:Setting up a Terraria server - Official Terraria Wiki - http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Setting_up_a_Terraria_server
- Server - Official Terraria Wiki - http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Server
Character Load Failure
What to do when your character/world stops loading - http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/what-to-do-when-your-character-world-stops-loading.126102/
- Rename The Backup
- Restore Previous Version (Windows System Restore)
TShock for Terraria - https://tshock.co/xf/
Releases · NyxStudios/TShock - https://github.com/NyxStudios/TShock/releases
- How to run a dedicated Terraria server on Ubuntu : Terraria - https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/2a2gjn/how_to_run_a_dedicated_terraria_server_on_ubuntu/
- Terraria Server with TShock on Linux - Vultr.com - https://www.vultr.com/docs/running-a-tshock-terraria-server
Game data files is stored in ~/.local/share/Terraria/Worlds/
sudo apt-get install mono-complete mkdir terraria ; cd terraria wget https://github.com/Pryaxis/TShock/releases/download/v4.3.24/tshock_4.3.24.zip unzip tshock_4.3.24.zip screen -S terraria mono ./TerrariaServer.exe
updated 188.8.131.52 instructions
Game data files is stored in ~/My Games
based on baudday's instructions below
sudo apt-get install mono-complete mkdir terraria ; cd terraria wget https://github.com/NyxStudios/TShock/releases/download/v4.3.8/tshock-4.3.8-rel.zip unzip tshock-4.3.8-rel.zip -d tshock cd tshock # ./TerrariaServer.exe & screen -S terraria ./TerrariaServer.exe
Open firewall port: 7777
List group permissions:
/group listperm guest
Permissions for guest (1/1): tshock.world.modify, tshock.account.register, tshock.account.login, tshock.partychat, tshock.thirdperson, tshock.canchat
Give permissions to summon bosses: 
/group addperm guest tshock.npc.summonboss
How to run a dedicated Terraria server on Ubuntu : Terraria - https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/2a2gjn/how_to_run_a_dedicated_terraria_server_on_ubuntu/
So over the weekend I started looking into how to do this and found that a lot of the guides were outdated. I was able to piece some stuff together so I figured maybe this could be of use to someone. It's quite simple actually here's what you do:
- If you haven't already, install mono
- $ sudo apt-get install mono-complete
- Download the latest version of TShock
- You're gonna wanna go here and get the URL for the latest release
- $ wget https://github.com/NyxStudios/TShock/releases/download/v4.2300/TShock.4.2.3.0702.zip (currently 4.2.3 is the latest release)
- Unzip the archive
- $ unzip TShock.4.2.3.0702.zip -d tshock (-d specifies the destination directory)
- Change into the tshock directory and start the server!
- $ cd tshock && ./TerrariaServer.exe
You'll notice that starting it like this will lock up your terminal so you can't disconnect without stopping the server. There's a simple workaround for this:
- $ screen ./TerrariaServer.exe
This will create a new "screen" where the process will run. If you want to detach from the screen just press Ctrl+A then press D. The process will continue to run, but you'll be able to disconnect or do other things on the server as necessary. If you need to get the screen back, simply run:
- $ screen -r
Hope this helps someone. I spun up an Amazon EC2 instance for mine and was up and running within an hour (including piecing all this together from different information sources). TShock has some great documentation if you run into any trouble: http://tshock.co/xf/